Summary: We had these at a Vietnamese restaurant once and I’ve been making them at home ever since.. These are so good,crispy on the outside and crunchy on the inside!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 -5 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, diced
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 lb crabmeat
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 (8 inch) package spring roll wrappers
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together garlic, carrots, green onions and cabbage.
- Chop shrimp into small pieces. To the large bowl, add shrimp, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and black pepper and mix. Add crab meat and egg white to mixture and combine evenly.
- Brush egg yolk on three corners of wrapper. Add 2 tablespoons of filling in center of wrapper, diagonally. Fold the two sides on the diagonal over the filling. Fold the non-egg yolk corner over and tuck snugly under filling and roll up.
- Deep fry the spring rolls in peanut oil at 350°F for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Work in batches. Flip half way through. Remove and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Eat with nuoc cham dipping sauce or Ponzu.
Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce
Makes ¾ cup
3 tablespoons lime juice (1 fat, thin skin lime)
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup water
2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
Combine the lime juice, sugar and water, and sauce stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12