Recipe: Cuban Sandwich
- 4 to 8 thick slices of roasted pork loin
- 8 thin slices Virginia ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 sandwich-sliced pickles
- 1 loaf French bread
- butter or margarine
- Preheat grill (we use a George Foreman), panini grill or gridle. Coat with cooking spray.
- Slice French bread into about 5-inch to 6-inch sandwich-sized slices (we usually get about 5 to 6 sandwiches from one loaf). Take one slice of bread and slice horizontally, so that you have crust on the top and bottom.
- Lightly butter the inside of each slice, then lightly dot/smear with mustard.
- Then layer — pork roast slices, Swiss cheese, ham slices and pickle. Top with bread slice and press down gently.
- Place sandwiches, one or two at a time, on grill. If using a Foreman/panini grill, carefully place top of grill over sandwich and press down gently. If using a gridle or pan, place a lid or pan over top of sandwich and press down (if using this method, you will need to flip the sandwich over after a few minutes in order to grill both sides).
- Grill for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the bread is golden and crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Plate and cut each sandwich on the diagonal. Enjoy!
- Note: I like to warm the roast and ham before putting the sandwiches together.
Number of servings (yield): 4