Recipe: Easter Peep Za
Summary: When brainstorming Peeps ideas this year, I came up with some pretty good ones that were shot down: Peeps Sweet Potato Casserole. Peeps-Jello Salad. Twice-Baked Peep-Topped Sweet Potatoes. Peeps Ambrosia. The idea that did make the cut: Peep-Za.
- For the Crust:
- 1 recipe sugar cookie dough, such as Cookie Monster’s Famous Sugar Cookie Dough, or use store-bought sugar cookie dough
- For the Frosting:
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces heavy cream (1 ½ cups)
- For the Topping:
- Chocolate candies, such as M&Ms
- Salted peanuts
- Prepare the frosting: Heat the heavy cream in a sauce pan until it starts to simmer; do not boil. Put the chocolate chips in a glass bowl and pour the hot cream over the chips. Let sit for 2 minutes until the chocolate melts.
- Whisk the chocolate and cream together until fully blended. Set aside, whisking every 15 minutes or so, until the mixture comes to room temperature (this takes about 1 ½ hours). Once the chocolate mixture reaches room temperature, beat it with a standing or hand mixer for two minutes, or until it reaches frosting consistency. (Note: You can substitute store-bought frosting here if you wish.)
- Spray a 16-inch pizza pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Prepare the cookie dough, if using homemade; there’s no need to refrigerate the dough after it’s blended unless you want to make it ahead of time. Pack the cookie dough into a ball then flatten it into a disc with your hands. Set the cookie dough disc in the middle of the pizza pan and press, from the middle out, until the dough covers the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookie start to brown. Let the cookie cool completely.
- Spread the cookie with the frosting and top with Peeps, chocolate candies and salted peanuts.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Cooking Channel