Recipe: Fiesta Potato Smashers
Summary: Smashed potatoes have the skins on and are a little chunkier than standard mashed potatoes. Caramelized onions will make this familiar side dish a healthy family favorite.
- 5 small Yellow potatoes and 5 small red potatoes or other potato type of your choice (try russets, white or fingerlings)
- 1 pint sweet bell peppers (red, orange and yellow)
- 8 sprigs cilantro, leaves picked from stems
- 4 tbsp of fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek yogurt (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Salt, chili powder and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place whole potatoes (do not poke) into microwave-safe covered dish. Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, cut mini peppers into small 1/4-inch slices. Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat to medium. Add peppers and sauté until they start to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove potatoes from microwave and, using a layer of paper towels to cover each potato, smash them on a cutting board until 1 3/4-inch thick. Helpful tip: Use the side of a coffee cup or flat cooking utensil to smash the potatoes.
- Spray sauté pan with cooking spray, heat on high and add smashed potatoes. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until potatoes start to brown.
- On a plate, place potatoes and layer with sour cream or yogurt (optional), peppers and cilantro. Dust with salt, chili powder and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: FarmFreshDirect.net