Recipe: Franks under Wraps
Summary: What could be easier–wrap strips of puff pastry around frankfurter halves and bake. It puts an elegant spin on this all-time favorite appetizer.
- 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 10 frankfurters (about 1 pound) , cut in half crosswise
- Prepared mustard
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut the pastry sheet into 20 (1/2-inch) strips. Wrap the pastry strips around the frankfurters and press to seal. Place the pastries onto a baking sheet. Brush the pastries with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Remove the pastries from the baking sheet and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve the pastries with the mustard for dipping.
For a Holiday Twist, use 5 frankfurters and cut each into quarters lengthwise, then cut in half crosswise, making 40 pieces in all. Twist each pastry strip into a spiral shape. Wrap each twisted pastry strip around 2 pieces frankfurter and press to seal. Brush with the egg mixture and bake as directed above.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 20
Recipe adapted from Pepperidgefarm.com