Summary: Layers of bread are filled with cinnamon and brown sugar and then drowned in batter, making for a perfect breakfast or dessert. Yum!!!
- 12 slices of home style or round top white bread (not thin sandwich)
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, chilled
- Brown Sugar Mixture:
- 1 1/3 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup (10 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Set 12 slices of bread on a plate or tray and let air out for 3-4 hours, to rid them of their moisture.
- Slice each butter stick into 15 thin slices. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Mix light brown sugar with ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place 3 slices of the bread on the bottom of the pan. Press down with the palm of your hand. Sprinkle 1/3 of the brown sugar mixture over them. Spread 10 pats of the butter on top of the brown sugar.
- Layer another 3 slices of bread on top of the butter. Repeat with another 1/3 of brown sugar and 10 pats of butter.
- Repeat with another layer of 3 slices of bread, the remainder of the brown sugar and butter.
- Finish off with the last 3 slices of bread. Press this all down with your hands so that the bread does not extend above the rim of the loaf pan. Set aside.
- Whisk 4 large eggs in a bowl. Add the heavy cream and mix well. Stir in the vanilla and cinnamon. Slowly pour this batter over the loaf a little bit at a time. Using a fork, lift the sides of the bread so that the liquid seeps down into the lower layers. Pour the remaining batter.
- Cover the loaf pan with plastic wrap. Secure with a sheet of foil. Place in the fridge to chill overnight.
- THE FOLLOWING DAY:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove the foil and discard the plastic wrap. Replace the foil and secure. Place pan in oven and bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees. You may want to set a baking sheet or pan on the rack below to catch any overflowing liquid.
- After 1 hour, remove the foil. Bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Slice with a sharp knife and set on serving plates.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with syrup or fruit preserves. Enjoy!!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: TheDisneyDiner.com