Summary: The season’s best vegetables and a variety of cheeses make this vegetable quiche a crowd-pleasing and healthy meal that can be assembled the night before, refrigerated and cooked just prior to serving.
- 1 1/2 cups egg substitute
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extrasharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) carton fat-free cottage cheese
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups sliced zucchini (about 4)
- 2 cups diced potato with onion (such as Simply Potatoes)
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (about 1)
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Beat egg substitute and eggs in a large bowl until fluffy. Add 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup Jack cheese, milk, flour, baking powder, salt, and cottage cheese.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add zucchini and the next 3 ingredients (through mushrooms); sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the zucchini mixture and parsley to egg mixture. Pour mixture into a 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheddar cheese and 3/4 cup Jack cheese. Arrange tomato slices over cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove dish from oven), and bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Note: Substitute corn or spinach for some of the vegetables, if you wish.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 10
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: CookingLight.com