This mini version of the classic is delicious, gluten free, and also free of any refined sugars
Recipe: Gluten Free German Chocolate Cupcakes
For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (142 grams) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (39 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (127 grams) Amy’s Basic Flour Blend
- 1 cup (150 grams) coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking pwoder
- 1/2 teaspoon (4 grams) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (116 grams) canola or other neutral flavored oil
- 2 (108 grams) large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Coconut-Pecan Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups (60 grams) shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup (114 grams) pecans
- 3/4 cup (168 grams) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons (12 grams) chia seed meal
- 2 tablespoons (40 grams) Fruit Sweet or 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons (22 grams) coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup (59 grams) coconut oil, solid form
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (108 grams) large eggs, beaten
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-hole standard muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- Bring water to a boil and stir in cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together the flour blend, coconut palm sugar, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Add oil, eggs, and vanilla to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add water and cocoa powder mixture and mix until combined.
- Use a standard, spring release ice cream scoop to transfer batter to prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Coconut-Pecan Frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toast the coconut, stirring every 45 seconds to one minute to prevent burning. It will toast quickly so don’t walk away from the oven.
- Toast the pecans for 5 – 8 minutes until fragrant. Chop finely once cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the almond milk and chia seed meal. Let sit for several minutes until thickened.
- Add the Fruit Sweet, coconut palm sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk over medium-low heat to warm mixture.
- Whisk in eggs, and continue whisking until mixture is thick and reaches 165 degrees F.
- Stir in the toasted coconut and toasted, chopped pecans.
- Let cool completely before topping cupcakes.