Gluten-free chocolate coconut macaroons are low calorie cookie. This wheatless dessert is made by mixing unsweetened shredded coconut (gluten-free please) with sugar, lemon zest, and egg whites. The freshly baked cookie is dipped in chocolate for a finishing touch. With less than 80 calories per cookie, you can indulge and enjoy a few.
Recipe: Gluten-Free Macaroons
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar (ultra fine sugar)
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 5 ounces dark chocolate block (72% dark) – or more if desired, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment on high speed, mix egg whites for about 3 minutes until very frothy.
- Slowly add the sugar along the inside edges while it’s whisking.
- After another 2 minutes as it is looking like a meringue, add the lemon zest, whisk another few seconds until combined.
- Gently fold in shredded coconut.
- Prepare 2 parchment lined baking sheets.
- With a tablespoon, pick up about a tablespoon of the meringue and pack it lightly (kind of like a meatball) just so it holds a shape.
- Place on baking sheets about an inch apart. Continue until completed.
- Bake until golden, 25-30 minutes.
- Let it cool before dipping in chocolate.
- To melt chocolate:
- Set a saucepan over medium heat, when the water is simmering place a glass or heatproof bowl over the saucepan. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water.
- Add about 5 ounces, or more if you like, of dark bark chocolate into the bowl and stir until completely melted.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes then dip the bottom of the cooled macaroons and place on the cooled baking sheets that you used for the macaroons.
- Serve chilled.