Good Old Fashion Potato Salad What2Cook – Best of 2013 – Number 7 shared more than 65,000 times count down to #1 on New Years Eve.
Summary: Remember the best Potato Salad you ever tasted? It was probably this! It’s a winner every time.. You’ll hear OMG This IS best Potato Salad I ever tasted in my whole entire life!!
- 5 pounds small Russet potatoes
- 6 large eggs, hard-boiled & peeled & diced (toss 3 of the yellows, use 3 or mash and stir)
- 4 celery stalks, fresh chopped
- 1 jar (4 oz) diced pimentos, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced sweet midget pickles (sweet Gherkin from Heifetz, if you can find them, pour some juice in too)
- 2 heaping tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 1/2 cup Miracle Whip or Mayo (I use Miracle Whip)
- 1/4 cup prepared French’s yellow mustard (don’t go fancy or Creole or grainy)
- Heaping 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- Finely ground kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Smoked hot paprika for garnish
- Boil the potatoes, skin on, for about 20 minutes or until a sharp knife easily pierces them easily. Drain the potatoes and soak in ice cold water, then peel them with your fingers under running water (as if you were peeling a hard-cooked egg).
- Hard boil your eggs 1 minutes turn off heat and let set 15 minutes then soak in cold water till ready to peel. (tap the large end of the egg and roll get under that little layer of skin and it should slide right off).
- Put the potatoes and eggs into a chilled bowl, then chop to about 1 inch squares. (they don’t have to be perfect)
- Add the other ingredients except the paprika garnish. Stir good, make sure everything is covered. Should not look dry, so if you want an extra spoon of mayo or relish add it. Learn to trust your instincts that’s what’s your Grandma did.
- Taste it for salt and a hint of sweet, (if you didn’t find the right pickles add a tablespoon or more of sugar) shape into a pretty mound with a spoon or spatula. Make a day ahead let set overnight, cover with plastic wrap or lid and chill. Dust the top with the smoked paprika before serving. Serve cold.
Preparation time: 40 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 15