Summary: The vinaigrette for this salad would also make a lovely marinade for grilled fish.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup olive or canola oil (or mixture of both)
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small jicama (about 3/4 lb.), cut into thin sticks
- 1 small bunch radishes, sliced into half-moons
- 1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, combine lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and cayenne. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified. Add salt and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Make the salad: Preheat ridged grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish and cover evenly with one-third of vinaigrette. Add chicken to preheat grill pan and cook until just done, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board and let cool 5 minutes, then cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, toss lettuce with small amount of vinaigrette. In another bowl, combine jicama, radishes, onion, avocado, and mango. Gently toss with more vinaigrette.
- To serve, place vegetable and fruit mixture on a bed of lettuce. Arrange the chicken on top. Top chicken with remaining vinaigrette and pepitas.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
Recipe adapted from Latina.com