Recipe: Ham Pesto Provolone Pockets
Summary: Move over, frozen pizza pocket – these dripless packets of ham, pesto and provolone enveloped in soft pizza dough are divine. You could, of course, fill these with anything you like – spread tomato sauce or paste on the dough in place of the pesto and layer with pepperoni or other pizza-friendly meats; sautéed mushrooms or roasted red peppers are delicious, too. And of course any meltable cheese will work.
- 1 batch pizza dough
- 1/4 cup bottled pesto
- 12 slices Black Forest or honey ham (about 100 g) (or leftover ham)
- 12 slices thinly sliced Provolone, Edam, havarti or mozzarella cheese (about 150 g)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll each into an 8” circle on a lightly floured surface. Spread each with pesto and layer with ham and provolone.
- Roll the dough up, folding the ends over and pinching them to seal. Place the rolls on a cookie sheet and brush with the beaten egg. Cut a few small vents in each roll to let the steam out.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden. Let cool slightly before serving. Makes 6 pockets.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Babble.com