Recipe: Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Summary: Try an Asian noodle bowl for dinner tonight. By making this quick dish at home, you control the fat, calories and sodium.
- 6 oz uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 large red, yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1 bag (10 oz) frozen broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (2 medium)
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes until beef is no longer pink; remove from pan.
- Add bell pepper and onion to skillet; cook and stir 1 minute. Add broccoli; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in water and crushed red pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- In small cup, mix teriyaki sauce and cornstarch. Stir teriyaki sauce and beef into broccoli mixture in skillet. Cook and stir over high heat until sauce is thickened and heated through. Toss broccoli mixture with spaghetti. Garnish with green onions.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 34 g
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Live Better America