Recipe: Healthy Macaroni Salad
Summary: This spring time macaroni salad is egg- and oil-free. And while most macaroni salad recipes call for sugar in the dressing, in this recipe a couple of dates take its place, resulting in a dressing that is reminiscent of Thousand Island.
- 2 cups dry whole-grain macaroni pasta (brown rice or quinoa are good)
- 3 ribs celery, small diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 red onion, small diced
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 15-oz. can black olives, sliced
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, place cashews and pitted, diced dates in the ½ cup water; set aside. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions; drain, rinse in cold water.
- In a large bowl, toss the celery, carrot, red onion, bell pepper, olives, parsley and basil.
- In a high-speed blender, blend all of the dressing ingredients: soak water, cashews, dates, garlic, mustard, lemon juice and pepper until smooth.
- Add the pasta and dressing to the bowl of vegetables and mix everything. Garnish with avocado, chopped parsley and/or basil.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: StraightupFood.com