Summary: As you can see, our homemade versions came out really well. In fact, the hardest part was waiting until they cooled to start munching on them for a fun treat. They were a delicious snack we all loved, I can already tell you that we’ll be making an Easter version this spring!
- 1 package of refrigerated pie crust
- 1 jar strawberry jam (or whatever you like)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sugar sprinkles for dusting
- 2. Transfer the pie crusts to a lightly floured surface and cut it into 2×3 rectangles. It is easiest to measure the pieces with a ruler, score the crust with a knife and cut it with a pizza cutter.
- 3. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of strawberry jam onto one of the rectangles, leaving about 1/4 inch of space before the edge. Use a cookie cutter or paring knife to cut heart shapes out of the second rectangle. Then place the heart rectangle over the jam and seal the edges together with the tines of a fork. Baking on a cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes, then allow to cool.
- 4. To make the glaze mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a bowl and add food coloring if desired. Drizzle the glaze over the warm pop tarts and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Babble