Hot German potato salad is is one tasty dish. Instead of a traditional mayonnaise based dressing, this potato salad is tossed in a vinegar and mustard vinaigrette. The potatoes are tossed with the dressing when they are warm and soak up all those flavors. Bits of crispy bacon are also added. Serve this hot German potato salad at your next outdoor gathering.
Hot German potato salad is is one tasty dish. Instead of a traditional mayonnaise based dressing, this potato salad is tossed in a vinegar and mustard vinaigrette.
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 cup Thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup Chopped onion
- 5 cups Sliced, cooked potatoes
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery seed
- Dash ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- In a large, heavy skillet, fry bacon until crisp, drain bacon and save 1/2 cup bacon drippings.
- Add celery and onions to bacon drippings in the skillet, saute until tender while stirring continuously.
- Add the potatoes and toss carefully. Combine and mix the water, vinegar, sugar, flour, salt, dry mustard, celery seed and ground pepper and pour it over the potatoes.
- Cook until thickened and warmed through, stirring carefully.
Recipe credit: Foodista.com / CC BY
Photo credit: jules:stonesoup / flickr.com / CC BY