Recipe: Hush Puppies with Jalapeno Peppers
Summary: One day, I thought back to the hush puppies I’d had as a child on a Southern trip…and ended up creating my own version of them.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- chopped jalapeno peppers or mild chiles, as desired
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, and salt, in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornmeal and flour. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated and the batter is thick.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, (Dutch oven) heat enough peanut oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 360 degrees F.
- Working in batches, drop the batter, 1 tablespoon (I like to use a small ice cream scoop) at a time, into the oil, being careful to not overcrowd the pot. Fry until deep golden on all sides, turning in the oil for even cooking, about 5 minutes. Transfer the hushpuppies to a paper towel-lined dish and sprinkle with salt while hot.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4