Italian-ish Squash Casserole
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 heaping cups chopped yellow squash
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Italian style panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 x 9 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and onion, and cook until squash is crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the Parmesan and mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into casserole dish. Stir together the panko crumbs and 3 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle on the squash. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
Recipe and Photo: Lorie’s Mississippi Kitchen / CC BY