Recipe: Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cups shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
To make crust:
- In large bowl mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening with two butter knifes.
- In separate bowl, mix together egg, vinegar, and water. Drizzle wet mixture into dry mixture, cutting it in.
- Roll out dough, and fit into 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
To Make Lemon Filling:
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into pie crust.
To Make Meringue:
- In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy.
- Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.