Summary: Tried and true a lighter mashed potato- and no one will notice the difference, they taste just as good as the ones with all the extra fat!
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes or Russet, peeled and quartered
- 3 tbs Promise Light Spread Heart Health Essentials (Blue container taste like butter)
- 1/2 cup fat free half and half*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- *Add more or less half and half to get the creaminess you like.
- Add potatoes to saucepan and a couple pinches of salt. Add water until potatoes are just covered. Bring potatoes to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender enough to insert a fork.
- While potatoes are cooking, sautee the garlic in olive oil until carmelized.
- Melt butter and warm the half and half in a pan. Drain potatoes and reserve a couple of tablespoons of the cooking liquid. With a potato masher, mash your potatoes until just mashed. Add melted butter, garlic, and heated half and half and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until just mixed and creamy. Don’t overmix or the potatoes will turn into glue.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe adapted from Sierraclub.org