Recipe: Makeover Easy Apple Cake Recipe
Summary: Flavored with cinnamon and apples, old-fashioned apple cake is down-home delicious, with less than half the fat.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar blend
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, applesauce, sugar blend, eggs, oil
- and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, flaxseed, baking
- powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar
- mixture until blended. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with
- whipped topping. Yield: 20 servings.