Recipe: Reuben Corned Beef Sandwich
Summary: What to do with your left over Corn Beef from St. Patrick’s Day, serve it as a delicious party-friendly finger food twist on traditional corned beef and cabbage.
- One 14 1/2-ounce can sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 loaf sliced sourdough French bread or rye bread
- 10 ounces Swiss cheese
- 10 ounces thinly sliced corned beef
- Thousand Island dressing (optional)
- Drain and squeeze the water from the sauerkraut. In a microwavable bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sauerkraut, and food coloring, if using, and mix. Place the sauerkraut in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Butter 1 side of each piece of bread. Put 1 slice of bread, butter side down, in the pan. Put slices of cheese on the bread first, then meat, then sauerkraut, and some Thousand Island, if using. Put other slice of bread on top, butter side up.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, making sure the bread does not burn. When the bottom is browned and the cheese is melted, flip and cook until the second side is brown.* Repeat until all of the meat is used up. If desired, drizzle Thousand Island dressing on top of each sandwich when ready to serve.
*Note: If the cheese is not melted by the time the bread is browned, you can cheat by heating it briefly in the microwave.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of The Daily Meal