Summary: This decadent ice-cream cake is truly a mint chocolate lover’s dream! Top layers of mint chocolate chip ice cream and devil’s food chocolate cake with a rich chocolate ganache and chopped crème de menthe chocolate mints. Make the whole cake ahead and freeze until ready to serve.
- Parchment paper
- 1 box devils food cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake (or make your favorite)
- 1/2 gal. mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 10 chocolate wafers, coarsely crushed
- 1 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 8 tablespoons whipping cream, divided
- Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, thin crème de menthe chocolate mints (Andes)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper. Prepare Devil’s Food Cake Batter, and spoon into pans.
- Bake at 350º for 12 to 14 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, peel off parchment paper, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Place 1 cake layer in a 9-inch springform pan. Top with one-third of ice cream (about 2 1/3 cups); sprinkle with half of crushed wafers. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake layer and ice cream. Freeze 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove cake from springform pan, and place on a cake stand or plate. Prepare Chocolate Ganache, and spread over top of ice-cream cake. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
- Microwave chocolate and 4 Tbsp. whipping cream in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring at 30-second intervals. Stir in up to 4 Tbsp. additional cream for desired consistency. Use immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 10
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Southern Living