Recipe: Miso Soup
- 1/2 tsp. of sesame oil
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tbl. of miso paste
- 2 tbl. dashi soup stock
- 2 green onions, finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 cake tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (optional)
- 2-3 fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced (optional)
- 5-6 shrimps, cubed or shredded (optional)
- Some pieces of seaweed (optional)
- Heat oil in the bottom of a small pot
- Add green onion (if using)
- Cook for a few minutes while stirring frequently
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water
- Bring to a boil
- Dissolve miso in 1/2 cup of water and add to pot
- Lower heat and add mushrooms, seaweed & tofu if desired
- Put dashi in a pot.
- Add any garnish that needs cooking.
- Heat the dashi, letting it simmer, cooking any garnish that needs cooking. Do not bring to a rolling boil, as this degrades the flavor.
- Add any garnish that does not need cooking, and remove from heat.
- Add the miso to the soup. Avoid boiling the miso; some nuances of the flavor will be lost.