Recipe: Mixed Berries and Yogurt Muffins
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup strawberry or blackberry jam
- 4 cups *mixed berries (blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries)*you can use frozen mixed berries, just thaw it and drain before incorporating it to the muffin batter.
- Preheat oven to 375’F. Line muffin pans with paper liners for 24-28 medium muffins or 18-20 jumbo muffins.
- Sift together, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream softened butter and sugar. Then add eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts plus the zest of 1 lemon.
- Mix in the strawberry or blackberry jam and plain yogurt.
- Pour yogurt mixture over the flour mixture and briefly stir the muffin batter. And finally gently fold-in the mixed berries.
- Using a large ice cream scooper, scoop muffin batter into prepared muffin pans.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, and until golden brown. For jumbo muffins, bake for 28-35 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.
Photo and Recipe credit: Jeannie Maristela is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.