Summary: Use the highest quality ingredients you can find when making this simple but sublime scallopdish. Mario Batali
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh scallops, preferably from Nantucket Bay
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cored and very thinly cut, fronds reserved for garnish
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup best-quality olio nuovo (first-pressed extra virgin olive oil), plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place the scallops in a large bowl with the fennel. Add the lemon juice, orange zest and juice, jalapenos, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Gently toss until well combined.
- Place 7 to 8 scallops on 4 chilled dinner plates. Divide the salad evenly among the 4 plates.
- To serve, top each salad with a fennel frond and drizzle each plate with a little more olive oil.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Photo and Recipe adapted from The James Beard Foundation