Recipe: Onion Prime Rib Roast
Summary: A triple play of onions enhances this pairing of meat and potatoes to make it a major league hit!
- 48 oz Charlie’s Pride Prime Rib, sliced into four 1″ thick steaks
- 1 onion (peeled and sliced ½″ thick; separate into rings)
- 1¼ lbs baking potatoes (peeled, quartered and cut into 1 inch uniform pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- ½ cup + 1 Tablespoon buttermilk
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- scant ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 packet Au Jus mix
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped chives (or 1 Tablespoon dehydrated)
- Romaine lettuce leaves (washed and dried)
- 4 heaping Tablespoons canned crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place a large fry pan on the stove over medium-high heat with enough oil to cover the bottom. Add enough sliced onions until you have a single layer; brown one side only.
- Remove to a plate and repeat until all onions are browned on one side. Place potatoes in a pot; cover with cold water 1 inch above tops. Bring to boil on high heat, then reduce to simmer for 18 minutes or until tender.
- Drain water and return pan to stove and mash. Add butter or margarine, then buttermilk, milk, salt and pepper; stir well. Remove to a bowl and keep warm.
- Prepare the Au Jus mix according to package directions then add chives and reserve. On an oiled, heavy baking pan, place onion rings (browned side up) in a single layer, then place steaks on top. Cover with lettuce leaves and place in the top half of the oven.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until heated through, or longer for desired doneness. Discard lettuce, then place steaks, keeping onions beneath, onto 4 warm plates. Drizzle each with Chive Au Jus. Place one serving of mashed potatoes alongside, then sprinkle crispy onions over steaks or potatoes, your choice. Serve with your favorite green vegetable.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: CharliesPride.com