Summary: Oven Fried Chicken. Tastes JUST like fried chicken, but it’s healthy and baked! My fried food loving husband LOVES this chicken!
Recipe: Oven Fried Chicken
- 1 1/3 cups rice-corn crispy cereal, (recommended: Chex)
- 2 1/4 cups broken bagel chips or melba toast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise (Use light or fat-free to reduce the calories)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken pieces (about 6 ounces each) See Notes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set a rack on a foil lined baking sheet. Spray the rack generously with cooking spray.
- Finely grind the cereal and toasts together in a food processor. Transfer crumbs to a large gallon size plastic bag. Add the oil, salt, cayenne, paprika, and ground pepper and toss to mix thoroughly. Whisk the light mayonnaise and Dijon mustard together in a medium shallow bowl. Add chicken to mayonnaise and turn to coat all the pieces evenly.
- Drop the chicken into the plastic bag, seal and shake until each piece is evenly coated. Place coated pieces on the prepared rack.
- Spray the chicken pieces evenly with cooking spray, and bake until the coating crisps and browns and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the pieces registers 160 degrees F, 35 to 40 minutes.
We like to cook the chicken on the bone for a real moist and juicy chicken experience. If you can’t find bone-in skinless chicken, simply pull off the skin before coating. Chicken breast halves can be quite large. To get a healthy 6 ounce portion, cut the breast pieces crosswise with a heavy knife into pieces about the same size as a chicken thigh.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: TwinRecipes.com