Recipe: Shrimp Pad Thai
Summary: Who doesn’t love some Pad Thai
- ½ pound (225g) of rice noodles
- ¼ cup (60mL) fish sauce
- ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon (75mL) white vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon (75mL) tamarind
- ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon (75mL) palm sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 4 tablespoons (60mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) dried red chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- ½ pound (225g) of shrimp, tofu, chicken, squid, or beef (or a combination of the above)
- assorted vegetables (e.g., shredded carrots, white onions, red or green peppers)
- 2 eggs
- 4 chopped green onions
- ¾ pound (340g) of bean sprouts
- ¾ cup (175mL) chopped unroasted peanuts
- wedge of lime (garnish)
- cilantro (coriander) leaves (garnish)
- Soak the noodles in warm water for about 20 minutes and strain. (Time saver: pour boiling water over the noodles and let them sit for 7 minutes.)
- Mix the fish sauce with the vinegar, sugar and tamarind (optional: lime juice) together in a small bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the wok on high, brown the chopped garlic and chili peppers for a minute.
- Cook the meats/tofu in oil, until they are browned (6-8 minutes).
- Add assorted veggies and cook until tender
- Add noodles. Crack the eggs over the noodles, allow them to cook, and then mix them up.
- Add the fish sauce mix into the wok, mix it all up and turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the chopped green onions and bean sprouts, then stir fry for 2 more minutes.
- Serve on a large plate or bowl. Garnish with chopped peanuts and optionally, chopped
- cilantro/coriander and a wedge of lime.
- Chop cilantro/coriander and mix it with the noodles and other ingredients at the last minute. (Take care not to overcook it, or it will become slimy.)
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: FusiaRestaurant.com