Recipe: Pepperoni Pizza Monkey Bread
Summary: Amazaballs – so worth it! Basically what you have are 48 or so individual pizza rolls, coated in margarine and spices, and baked together to form one ginormous pizza-cake-shaped-bread-thingie.
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F / 45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 48 slices Pepperoni (about one package)
- 6 to 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese- cut or pulled into 48 small pieces
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- parmesan cheese
- 2-3 cups marinara sauce, warmed, for dipping
- To prepare the dough: Combine and mix the water, sugar and yeast together until dissolved. Add the olive oil and salt. Mix in the flour until combined. Shape the dough into a ball and let rest in large bowl, covered loosely with a towel, anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours.
- After the dough has risen; pull off marble-sized chunks of dough and flatten with your hands. Top with a piece of the mozzarella and a slice of pepperoni. To close the ball, wrap the dough around the mozzarella and pepperoni; pinch the edges to seal. Repeat until all the dough is gone, setting each ball aside as you work.
- Coat the inside of a bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted margarine, parsley, basil, garlic, and salt; mix well. Dip each ball in the butter mix and then place it in the bundt pan. Repeat until done. If desired, sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on each ball before placing in the pan.
- Cover the bundt pan with plastic wrap and let sit on the counter for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake at 400F for approximately 30 minutes, or until the crust is brown.
- When done cooking, transfer the monkey bread to a serving platter. Enjoy with warm marinara sauce.