Recipe: Piña Colada Cheesecake
Summary: The Piña Colada cocktail is a popular drink that features the flavors found in this cheesecake. The combination of orange, pineapple, coconut and rum combine for a marvelous, tropical-inspired cheesecake.
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 3 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup cream of coconut
- 1/4 cup light rum
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, drained, juice reserved
- Reserved 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1 jar (24 oz) refrigerated sliced mango, drained, chopped
- Fresh mint leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 325°F. Wrap outside bottom and side of 10-inch springform pan with foil to prevent leaking. Spray inside bottom and side of pan with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix crust ingredients. Press crust mixture on bottom of pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs; one at a time; just until blended. On low speed, beat in remaining filling ingredients except pineapple. Gently fold in pineapple. Pour over crust.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or until edge of cheesecake is set at least 2 inches from edge of pan but center of cheesecake still jiggles slightly when moved. Run small metal spatula around edge of pan to loosen cheesecake. Turn oven off; open oven door at least 4 inches. Let cheesecake remain in oven 30 minutes. Cool in pan on cooling rack 30 minutes. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight before serving.
- In 1-quart saucepan, mix reserved pineapple juice plus enough water to equal 2/3 cup, cornstarch, and sugar. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Cool 20 minutes at room temperature.
- In large bowl, toss glaze with pineapple and mango. Spoon onto top of cheesecake. Garnish with mint leaves.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 16
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: Betty Crocker