Recipe: Red Velvet Coconut Cake
- 2 ½ c. cake flour
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter softened
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. shredded coconut
- 3 large eggs
- ½ c. buttermilk
- ½ c. unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 2 tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 c. confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp. water (optional, for smoother consistency)
- Topping: 1½ c. sweetened shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and position the rack in the middle.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder. Add salt and gently mix.
- In a mixer, beat butter, sugar and shredded coconut until ingredients are well combined. Add one egg at a time, beating after each addition.
- Next, add buttermilk, coconut milk, vanilla bean (or extract), and red food coloring.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients.
- Combine the vinegar with baking soda and add to the mixture. Mix until combined.
- Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and divide batter evenly into both pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before removing cakes from pans. Carefully slice off the top of the cakes for a smooth and flat surface.
- Prepare cream cheese frosting by mixing cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and confectioners’ sugar together in an electric mixer. If the consistency is not spreadable add about 1 tsp. of water.
- Frost one top cake layer with frosting. Stack the other cake on top of the frost. Frost the rest of the top and the sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut flakes over the top and sides of the cake making sure the coconut adheres to the frosting.
Recipe and photo credit: The Food Addicts by The Food Addicts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.thefoodaddicts.com.