Recipe: Red Velvet Cupcakes
Summary: The decadence of red velvet cake in its portable size makes is great for potlucks or any other event.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1 ounce bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- Small chocolate heart-shaped cookies (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Let eggs and butter stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 28 2-1/2-inch cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and 3/4 tsp. salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium after each. Beat in food coloring on low.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low to medium speed after each just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Top with small chocolate cookies, if desired. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes 28 servings.
Note: If your not using a heart shape cookie, you can use a paper template to sprinkle powdered sugar with, remove the paper and you have a perfect heart shape!
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 25
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: BHG.com