Recipe: Roasted Chicken Breasts with Creamy Thyme Gravy
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Garlic and Paprika Spice Mix (see below)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil (for pan searing)
For the Creamy Thyme Gravy:
- 1/4 cup jus or drippings (from the roasted chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons powdered chicken soup mix, dissolved in 1 cup room temperature water
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 sprig of fresh (stemed)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Sprinkle and rub the garlic and paprika spice mix all over both chicken breasts. Make sure to rub some of the spice mix underneath the skins so that the meat under gets seasoned too.
- Turn the chickens skin side down and pull the skins on both sides. Overlap the skins and secure with toothpicks, doing this will prevent the skins to shrink on top of the breasts and also will prevent the meat from drying out while those roasts in the oven.
- Heat a medium sized skillet along with the light olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the breasts skin side down (2 minutes) until the skins gets caramelized and crisped up. Then turn and sear the flesh side for 1 minute. Place the seared breasts onto a medium roasting pan. Cover with aluminum foil. Roast inside a pre-heated 375’F oven for 15-20 minutes or when a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat reads 165F. Rest chicken for 5 minutes before carving.
For the gravy:
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Pour chicken jus/drippings into the pan. Add the water and chicken soup solution. Stir/whisk the gravy mixture until it thickens. Add the dried thyme and cracked black pepper.
- Finish the gravy with the cream and whisk to thoroughly incorporate. Serve gravy over the sliced chicken breasts. Accompany this dish with sides of mashed/roasted potatoes and a simple salad of greens.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Garlic and Paprika Spice Mix
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
2 tablespoons salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Combine all spice ingredients together and put the mixture into a small jar. Store in a cool dry place. Can season 2 whole roasting chickens.
Recipe and Photo credit: Jeannie Maristela is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.