Recipe: Salmon Spa Cakes
Summary: Loaded with protein and omega 3 fats and with a low glycemic index, this savoury appetizer is a perfect choice to serve your guests—the health benefits and taste cannot be beat.
- 4 slices Stonemill bread
- » 2 cans (each 4 oz/113 g) salmon, drained
- » 2 green onions, minced
- » 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- » 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint (15 mL)
- » 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill (15 mL)
- » 1 tsp lemon zest (5 mL)
- » 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- (15 mL)
- » 3/4 tsp black pepper (4 mL)
- Break bread into rough pieces and put into food processor; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In bowl, mix together salmon, green onion, egg white, mint, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper, and ½ cup (125 mL) of the bread crumbs until well combined.
- Place remaining crumbs in a shallow dish or pie plate. Form the salmon mixture into 12 patties. Lightly press the patties into the crumb mixture, turning to coat evenly.
- Arrange salmon cakes in a large nonstick skillet lightly sprayed with non-hydrogenated olive oil cooking spray. Cook over medium-high heat, just until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold with low-fat plain yogurt on the side.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Fat: 2 g
Protein: 7 g
Recipe adapted from Healthandlifestyle.ca