Summary: Paella for 1…great appetizer idea! A medley of Seafood favorites served on a Bed of Spanish Rice. Chef Michael Van Warmelo of Tapeo.
- 12 large mussels
- 6 whole large prawns
- Firm, white fish (such as cod or marlin) (240g)
- Salt, pepper, and paprika to taste
- Sliced 5mm chorizo sausage (12 pieces)
- Cherry tomatoes (200g)
- Olive oil (60ml)
- 1 finely chopped medium onion
- Finely chopped garlic (4 cloves)
- Chopped thyme leaves (1 tbsp)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- White wine (125 ml)
- Spanish short grain rice (400g)
- Chicken stock (1.25 litres)
- Broad beans, peeled and blanched (200g)
- Diced bell pepper (1/2 cup)
- Squid (200g)
- Pinch of saffron
- Chopped parsley (2 tbsp)
- Lemon wedges
- Scrub and debeard mussels, discarding damaged and dead mussels.
- Saute 2 cloves of garlic and half tbsp thyme in 20ml oil.
- Add 250ml white wine, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 mins until open, discarding closed mussels.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Pan-sear fish until 90% cooked. Set aside in large baking tray.
- Split back of prawns and devein. Cook prawns in same pan, season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Transfer to tray.
- Pan sear chorizo on low heat until brown, lightly saute cherry tomatoes.
- Transfer to tray.
- Bring stock to boil in another pan.
- In a separate saucepan, saute onions and rest of garlic until golden brown. Add rest of thyme, lemon zest, and white wine.
- Add rice and half of boiled stock, allow rice to absorb. Add remaining stock bit by bit until cooked.
- Add squid, broad beans bell peper and saffron, cook 4-5 mins until creamy. Add stock if too dry. Season to taste
- Just as rice is cooked, place baking tray with seafood, chorizo and tomatoes in preheated oven at 180°C for 5 mins.
- Transfer rice to a large serving dish. Arrange seafood, chorizo, and tomatoes on top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, extra virgin olive oil, and lemon wedges.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: CraveMag.com