Recipe: Light Shrimp Po’ Boy
Summary: This twist on the Louisiana favorite piles grilled shrimp and creamy-dressed cabbage onto a crusty bun. Bread that’s soft on the inside and crusty on the outside is perfect for a Po’ Boy sandwich. We grill both sides of a whole-wheat bun for that added crunch. You may need a few extra napkins to enjoy it, but this quick and easy sandwich is well worth it. Serve with: Sauteed corn and bell peppers.
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (51-60 per pound)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hot dog buns, or small sub rolls, split
- 4 tomato slices, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine cabbage, relish, mayonnaise and yogurt in a medium bowl.
- Toss shrimp with 2 teaspoons oil, chili powder, paprika and pepper in a medium bowl. Place the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a small bowl. Dip a pastry brush in water, then in the oil and lightly brush the inside of each bun (or roll).
- Place a grill basket on the grill. Add the shrimp and spread in a single layer. Grill, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Open the buns and grill, turning once, until toasted on both sides, about 1 minute total.
- To assemble the sandwiches, divide tomato and onion among the buns. Spread about 1/3 cup cabbage mixture down the middle of each and top with about 1/2 cup grilled shrimp.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 3 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: DiabeticConnect.com