Summary: It doesn’t get heartier than a big piece of steak topped with savory gravy paired with creamy mashed potatoes. And our version manages to keep calories in check: The whole meal has just 326, with just 3.4 grams of saturated fat.
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless sirloin steaks, trimmed (about 1 inch thick)
- 3/8 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (24-ounce) package refrigerated or frozen mashed potatoes (or make from scratch)
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sprinkle steaks evenly with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add steaks to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Combine wine, 1/2 cup water, flour, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; stir well with a whisk. Add wine mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until thick; stir constantly. Remove from heat.
- Prepare potatoes according to package directions. Stir in chives and garlic powder. Place 3/4 cup potatoes on each of 4 plates. Top each with 1 steak and about 1/4 cup mushroom sauce. Serve with sautéed green beans.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Fat: 3.4 g
Protein: 28.4 g
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Cookinglight.com