Recipe: Skillet Sausage and Potatoes
Summary: It’s a meal rich in protein and carbs and will fuel energy levels until it’s time for lunch.
- 1/2 pound cooked smoked turkey sausage (or your favorite)
- 3 – 4 tablespoons
- olive oil or cooking oil
- 1 3/4 pounds unpeeled red-skinned potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons cumin seed, slightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- To cook, pour 3 tablespoons oil into a heavy 12-inch ovenproof skillet; place directly over campfire or on range top. Lift and tilt skillet to cover bottom with oil. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes; cut onions into thin wedges or chop. Cook potatoes and onions, uncovered, in hot oil over medium-high heat about 12 minutes or until potatoes are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Diagonally slice sausage 1/4 inch thick; add sausage to potato mixture. Add 1 tablespoon oil if necessary to prevent sticking. Cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes and onions are tender and slightly brown, stirring often.
- Stir in thyme, cumin seed, salt, and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute more. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Tomorrows-Adventures.com