Recipe: Skinny Matzo Brei With Fresh Spinach, Garlic and Onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions (about 1 large), chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 10 ounces of fresh spinach or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3 wholes wheat matzos
- 6 egg whites
- 3 large eggs, we like Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread such as Smart Balance Light or Benecol Light
- 2/3 cup fat free feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a microwave safe plate, cook the onions in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-heat until hot. Add onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in spinach and continue cooking for about 1-2 minutes until spinach is soft. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate and set aside. Set aside the pan for a moment.
- In the meantime, break up the matzos slightly and soak in a bowl of cold water for about 1-2 minutes until soft but don’t let them get too soggy! Drain the matzos and squeeze out the water. Combine the matzo in a bowl with eggs and egg whites.
- In the same pan, melt the Smart Balance over medium-high heat. Add the matzo/egg mixture, cooked onions and spinach and scramble, stirring constantly until eggs are cooked.
- Divide among 4 plates. Sprinkle each plate with feta cheese and serve immediately. Let everyone season their own with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe and Photo credit: Foodista.com / CC BY