Recipe: Skirt Steak with Romesco Sauce
Summary: This thick Spanish sauce, made with roasted red peppers and almonds, is also delicious on grilled or roasted scallions, chicken, and fish.
- 1 tomato (about 6 ounces), quartered
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 4x4x1/2-inch slice crusty white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skins rubbed off
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 2-lb. skirt steak or flank steak
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place tomato in a small glass baking dish. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. oil and scatter thyme sprigs over. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tomato is completely soft, about 30 minutes. Scatter bread cubes over tomato. Roast until bread is light golden and crisp, about 10 minutes longer. Let cool slightly; discard thyme sprigs.
- Meanwhile, char bell pepper directly over a gas flame or under broiler, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened all over. Transfer to a large bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15 minutes. Peel, stem, and core bell pepper.
- Pulse remaining 1 cup oil, tomato mix-ture, bell pepper, and next 4 ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Add water by tablespoonfuls to thin, if desired. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Stir first 6 ingredients in a small bowl to blend. Rub spice mixture into steak.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Grill steak until charred and cooked to desired doneness, 10–12 minutes for medium-rare.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve with romesco sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4