Recipe: Slavonian Fish Paprikash
Summary: This recipe comes from the Osijek area in Slavonia, which is blessed with good freshwater fish in its rivers. The paprikash should taste bit hot and spicy. Serve with crusty loaf of bread and choose a Riesling wine as the perfect accompaniment.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 pounds various freshwater fish (such as trout, pike and catfish), cleaned and cut in large pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 to 2 small hot peppers
- 1 package (16 ounces) wide egg noodles, cooked
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté.
- When soft, sprinkle in both the sweet and hot paprika, stir and then add the tomato paste. Pour in 8 cups of water, add the salt and put the fish in the stockpot.
- Simmer over medium heat for about 45 minutes and then add the wine and hot peppers. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Add noodles (homemade or fresh noodles are the best choice).
- · Buy the fish already cleaned and cut in pieces.”
Number of servings (yield): 5