Summary: This slow cooker recipe for Asian Chicken and Spiced Beans with Rice, complete with Weight Watcher Points, is one of the best I’ve ever had. It’s thick and hearty, and loaded with fiber and protein, so you feel very full with just one serving. If you really want to amp up your nutrients, you can substitute brown rice for the cooked white rice. 7 Weight Watchers points value.
- 1/2 Cup dry packaged Navy Beans or 1(15 ounces) can Navy Beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1/2 Cup dry packaged Red Beans or 1(15 ounce) can Red beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1/2 Cup fresh, frozen or can Green Beans
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 1/2 cup peas frozen or can (optional)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 large carrots, diagonally sliced (or baby carrots)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic, to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced ginger root or 1 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger, to taste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounces) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 4 Cups cooked rice
- Sliced green onions or chopped peanuts for garnish
- If using dry beans, in a large saucepan, place dry beans and cover with 2 inches water; heat to boiling; let boil, uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours. Drain soaking water and rinse beans. Place soaked OR canned beans, chicken, carrots, onion, garlic, ginger and 1 1/4 cups of the chicken broth in slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on low until beans are tender about 5 1/2 to 6 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to high. Combine cornstarch with remaining 1/2 cup broth and stir into mixture in cooker; stir in crushed red pepper. Cover and cook until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in soy sauce. Serve over rice; sprinkle with green onions and peanuts.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
Per serving: WW Points: 7, Calories: 375, Fat: 3g, Fiber: 10g, Carbs: 56g, Sodium: 285mg, Protein: 30g, Cholesterol: 46mg 7 Weight Watchers points value.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: laaloosh.com