Recipe: Slow Cooker Classic Beef Stew
Summary: This is more of a hungry man’s version of Classic Beef Stew.
- 3-4 lbs bottom round, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup olive oil (plus more if needed)
- 2 large onions, diced (2 cups)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- ½ lb baby carrots (about 2 cups), sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Dredge the beef pieces in the flour. Heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat, a few pieces at a time in the skillet, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the skillet and saute over medium heat until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions; transfer to the slow cooker.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits; add to the slow cooker. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms broth, salt, thyme, and bay leaf into the slow cooker.
- Cover and let cook on low heat for 7½ hours, or on high for 4 hours. Add the peas and heat through (Around 30 minutes more, or until peas are hot.).
- Ladle into bowls. Optional: garnish with parsley and serve on top of egg noodles.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 8 hours