Summary: Salsa and chili powder add spice to this chicken stew, but probably not too much for timid tasters or kids. If you want to kick up the heat, use a hot salsa and a dash of hot sauce or ground red pepper.
Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Stew
- 2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups)
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen sweet corn
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12.5 oz.) jar salsa
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, halved (about 1 lb.)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 oz.)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 (6 inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips
Place potatoes, corn, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in slow cooker. Stir in salsa, salt, cumin, chile powder and pepper. Distribute chicken evenly on top of vegetables and pour chicken broth over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook stew on high for 4 hours.
Transfer chicken to a plate and shred with two forks into bite-size chunks; return to slow cooker. Mix tortilla strips into stew. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: MyRecipes.com