Summary: Okay so this isn’t the prettiest soup…but it packs a powerful punch…..and my house now smells (some would say reeks) of garlic. I’ve been wanting to make a garlic soup since I fell in love with it in Spain. When Soup Chick posted a recipe recently it seemed like the perfect time. Then MeleCotte announced her Cooking to Combat Cancer event, and garlic being a cancer fighting food, it all fell into place.
Recipe: Sopa de Ajo – Garlic Soup
- 6 – 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth, heated
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices crusty, day old bread torn into chunks
- Place oil in medium pan over gentle heat. Fry garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Do not let garlic brown.
- Add hot paprika and heated broth. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Remove lid. Break eggs into soup and gently cook through.
- Place bread in bowl cover with soup and top with egg and serve.