Recipe: Southwest Chicken and Rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp seeded jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 10-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs (or breasts), 4-6 pieces
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, saute the onion, jalapenos, and bell peppers until tender.
- Add chicken broth and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and corn to the pot and mix well.
- Season chicken with cumin, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place chicken inside the pot until it is covered in liquid. Cover pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes on each side until chicken is cooked through.
- Uncover and let liquid evaporate. Remove from heat.
- Top the chicken with cheese and avocado and place on top of rice and vegetables.
Recipe and Photo credit: The Food Addicts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.