Recipe: Spaghetti allo Scoglio – ai frutti di mare – Fresh Seafood Pasta
- 500g clams (vongole)
- 500g mussels (cozze)
- 400g prawns (scampi), with heads removed
- 400g crawfish (gamberoni)
- 300g squid (calamari), cut into rings
- 70-100g tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- parsley, bunch chopped
- basil, bunch
- 5T. olive oil
- Hot pepper (optional)
- Boil the clams and mussels, separately, to open them. Strain and conserve the cooking water. Notes on preparing fresh shellfish: Soak the clams in fresh water for 6-8 hours to clean beforehand, and clean outside of mussels first.
- In another (very large) frying pan, brown the garlic cloves in the oil, and add the tomato sauce (not too much because you just want to give it a little color, not make it a red sauce), then the calmari and some of the fresh parsley. Cook for 20 minutes, adding water if it becomes too dry.
- Add the mussels, clams and some of the water from step 1. After 5 minutes, add the scampi and crawfish, using more of the water to keep it liquid and cook for 10 minutes. Start your water to boil the pasta.
- Add two large handfuls of fresh parsley and hot pepper if desired. Boil pasta and drain 2 minutes before the recommended cooking time. Add drained pasta to the seafood mix, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot.