- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 40 sheets (1 box) frozen phyllo dough, defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and add the scallions. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and mix with scallions, dill, eggs and feta cheese. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Keep the phyllo dough sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel.
- Unfold 1 sheet of the phyllo dough. Brush the sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Repeat the process by laying a second sheet of phyllo dough over the first sheet, brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs until 4 sheets have been used.
- Cut circles out of the dough that fit as a shell into mini muffin pans. Place the phyllo circles into the pan molds and fill with the spinach mixture.
- Repeat until all the spinach mixture is used.
- Bake the spanakopita cups for 17 mins.
Recipe and Photo credit: Foodista.com / CC BY