Recipe: Spanish Tapas Inspired Mussels
Summary: Shellfish, such as oysters and mussels, are thought to be some of nature’s most powerful aphrodisiacs. In this dish, dark mussel shells provide a striking contrast to the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and fragrant saffron that come together with dry sherry to create a flavorful sauce. Warm crusty French bread in the oven to soak up some of this dish’s sauce — just limit yourself to one piece if you’re counting calories.
- 2 teaspoon oil, olive, extra-virgin
- 8 ounce(s) beans, garbanzo (chickpeas), rinsed
- 8 whole tomato(es), cherry, halved
- 1 small onion(s), chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 4 ounce(s) pimento, rinsed, chopped
- 2 teaspoon oregano, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black ground
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 cup(s) broth, vegetable, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) sherry, dry
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic and pimentos. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, pepper and saffron. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and sherry, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: everydayhealth.com